internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Google Takes A Stab At It

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: David Rasch <rasch AT raschnet.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Google Takes A Stab At It
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 08:05:30 -0400

Google has mentioned at several SEO conferences that they do use domain registration information, such as the amount of time for which a domain has been registered, whether it's been transferred recently, and a small weight based on the price the registrar charges. Over time (as the domain has been registered for a while) this fades as an indicator. I've reached the limit of my knowledge on this topic, so I'll stop now :).

-David

Tony Spencer wrote:

Holy crap. It blows my mind that GoDaddy would go so far as to say "Google
uses a domain's length of registration when indexing and ranking...".
Nobody can make a claim like that. Trust me; I've tried to pay Google
engineers for that kind of info. :) I keep my ear close to the SEO street
and I've never heard this one. Perhaps it could be a filter in the future
although I highly doubt it. There are too many overnight successes that
can't be ignored that surely don't have a expiration date of more than a
year out. The Google algorithm as well as the Yahoo algorithm are much more
complex than that. There is a sweet spot that involves many variables but I
don't find length of registration to be one of them.

Example:
http://www.werenotafraid.com/
Launched after the first London bombings and already ranks #1 for 'not
afraid' and #3 for 'afraid' as it should. It was registered for one year.
When Google files patents I often wonder if its for the sole intent of
throwing the SEO'r off track.
Here are two good tips for you if you want your site to rank well:
Inbound links
Original content