internetworkers - [internetworkers] Google Takes A Stab At It

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: matusiak <dave AT matusiak.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Google Takes A Stab At It
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 22:20:23 -0400

Wiping out "search engine spam," that is. (At least according to GoDaddy's marketing-speak).

https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/jump_pages/google_spam.asp? isc=gdbb49&se=%2B&ci=3294

(in case link dies):

Google recently filed United States Patent Application 20050071741. As part of that patent application, Google made apparent its efforts to wipe out search engine spam, stating:
'Valuable (legitimate) domains are often paid for several years in advance, while doorway (illegitimate) domains rarely are used for more than a year. Therefore, the date when a domain expires in the future can be used as a factor in predicting the legitimacy of a domain and, thus, the documents associated therewith."
Domains registered for longer periods give the indication, true or not, that their owner is legitimate. Google uses a domain's length of registration when indexing and ranking a Web site for inclusion in their organic search results.

So to prove to everyone that your site is the real deal, register for more than one year and increase your chances of boosting your search ranking on Google.

--

Will this help at all? More importantly, will it lower the rankings of my websites because I cannot afford 10-year registrations? That would totally blow.

dave m.