internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Voting experiences

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Jim Allman <jim AT ibang.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Voting experiences
  • Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 15:07:54 -0500

On Nov 2, 2004, at 11:26 AM, Edward Wesolowski wrote:
The poll workers seemed very well prepared, and, like I say, the whole process was very smooth. ...now I wonder are other folks having the same experience around the state and beyond?

Not so smooth in Granville County. We voted this morning at Wilton Elementary, and it took 2 hrs 40min (!) from start to finish. (When we entered the line around 10:30, our neighbors were just leaving, and they'd arrived at 7:30. So the delay seems to be consistent.) The vote counter was in the mid-700s when we left.

Still, it was fun. Everyone was in a pretty good mood, the weather was breezy, and a few local candidates were chatting up the line outside.

Why such long delays? This area is growing fast, and the local election folks never seem to anticipate it. Our poll workers are nice, but kinda slow and disorganized. We saw lots of little changes that could have helped to move the lines along, or helped them to look up names more quickly. I'm going to check into volunteering next time around..

=jimA=

Jim Allman
Interrobang Digital Media
http://www.ibang.com/