internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] parade in Chapel Hill

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Dan Wilson" <sipacate AT hotmail.com>
  • To: "internetworkers list" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] parade in Chapel Hill
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 08:45:12 -0400

1)  I don't feel that a "straight power parade" is derision of homosexuals.

2) Every day isn't straight power day. Being heterosexual is not talked about in the media nor is it talked about much at all. I am sure there will be some militant anti-gay people there however. As with any group, there is an entire spectrum of people, some accepting some not.

3) Bob Dumas.  Don't listen to him. Wouldn't care if he was burned at the stake. The great thing about the radio is, it has several adjustments you can make. Some modify volume, some cut the power.

4) My Therapist comment.  My appoligies, I should get to know you before I assult you with tasteless insults. While I am still not able to see your side of things, since my attitude towards the whole march thing is if one can march, then all can march, you certainly feel you have developed a rational argument.

Sort of reminds me of the South African kid who was suspended for trying to win an African American achievement award.  Double Standard.

http://www.theomahachannel.com/education/2783824/detail.html

dw

Dan Wilson wrote:

> I never post to this list either. However I think that your

> statements could be taken to mean that parades should only be for

> minorities. Surely you mean something else.

That is correct.

> To accept a gay pride

> parade and to deride a heterosexual parade is indicitive of a double

> standard.

There is no double standard. Not when the straight power parade is

organized to deride those who are not heterosexual.

> If we have freedom of speech, then let any one who chooses

> to march, march without prejudice.

I'm not saying they shouldn't be allowed to march. I'm saying that the

march offends me. In particular, the use of a publicly-owned natural

resource -- the radio spectrum -- to advocate a divisive agenda offends

me. Bob Dumas the private citizen has his first amendment rights. But

as a broadcaster, his first amendment rights are accompanied by

significant duties to the community. He is flouting that responsibility.

> I for one, would welcome

> heterosexuals marching because being heterosexual isn't something to

> feel guilty for.

Being heterosexual isn't something to march for in the first place. It

is the majority culture, the somatic norm, the social default. There is

no oppression or discrimination imposed upon hets. Gay Pride comes once

a year. Every day is straight pride day.

> And as for Tabeckett, you really seem to have a problem with this.

For some reason this pushes my hot button. I'm really sick of Dumas and

G105, I'm really sick of Clear Channel's abuse of radio broadcasting and

the public trust. I think that comparison to the Klan march is

perfectly apt: choosing to demonstrate in Chapel Hill for its symbolic

value, a bigoted display disguised as promoting the position of a

majority group. Granted, Dumbass does not carry the baggage of a

century of violence and hatred. But the essential rhetorical devices

are the same.

> Have you seen a therapist lately? ;-)

You can debate me or not, but don't insult me.

TaB