internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Obama drama?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Jim Allman <jim AT ibang.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Obama drama?
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 09:15:14 -0400

On Jul 29, 2004, at 7:06 AM, Michael Czeiszperger wrote:
Its sad that the "news" has been converted from reporters getting a story, which takes knowledge, time, and effort, to nothing more than daily interviews with outside "experts" who are nothing more than paid shills working for one agenda or another.

I receive regular semi-spam from "Media Training Worldwide", a group that coaches people in how to handle presentations and media interviews. These include some good speaking tips, but their basic advice for radio and TV interviews is something like this:

1) Beforehand, practice your "three-point message plus sound bites" and know them cold. Basically, keep it quotable and simple enough for the dumbest person in the audience.

2) During the interview, hammer away on your simple messages, ignoring the substance of a question if necessary.

3) Repeat until public discourse lies in ruin.

While I'm sure this is great tactical advice for an attention-starved presenter, we all see the results. With rare exceptions, there are only two reasons to watch interviews with a "newsmaker"--to admire their hamering technique, or to watch for a crack in the facade (instant headline!).

=jimA=

Jim Allman
Interrobang Digital Media
http://www.ibang.com/