internetworkers - [internetworkers] extremely personal information for closest 6 billion friends

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Don Rua" <drua AT fullseven.com>
  • To: <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] extremely personal information for closest 6 billion friends
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 13:56:52 -0400

The writer is immediately suspect to me, by ending the story with the following line:

"I know that the government now has forever my extremely personal teenage diary," Carter concluded. "Hell yes, I'm mad. I will no longer be posting in this diary."

That kind of close reeks of Jerry Springer and Fox sensationalism to me. I'm supposed to care about someone's "extremely private teenage diary" that they post on a public blog for the world to read? Sounds like another cry from the victimologist's playbook.

As for the cops, sounds like some stiffs, but the story states they did get legit complaint of hackery from a campus police officer, who in turn got it from school Administrators. They also were given a direct finger of a suspected witness by an informant, seemingly unsolicited. Perhaps she was bragging or implying to friends that she did indeed know more?.
The article says the witness "grilled" the officers. If she was enjoying the victim status she portrays in the above quote, I could see them being frustrated with a simple cooperative attitude from a witness suggested by her own peer group.

Don

  • [internetworkers] extremely personal information for closest 6 billion friends, Don Rua, 06/02/2003