internetworkers - [internetworkers] RE: thought police in chapel hill

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Jim Allman" <jim AT ibang.com>
  • To: <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] RE: thought police in chapel hill
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 12:28:37 -0400

There are two things I actually like about this story, and I can
identify
with both of them.

The officers remind me of people who wear Microsoft schwag (or
Macromedia,
or Linux, or whatever). They're basking in the reflected glory of the FBI,
which is such a human thing to do.
That said, I think they ought to wait for graduation before pulling
out the
Junior G-Man badge.
And yes, I realize there's another important difference. They should
be
*very* careful about impersonating feds in any way, just as we don't get to
wear cop outfits and pull people over.

As for the student, she was already a budding activist--just read the
linked articles. This is the ultimate resume-stuffer for her, and I'm
guessing the story will be re-told many times. Not bad for having taken zero
risk, just a passing involvement with a non-crime.

=jimA=

  • [internetworkers] RE: thought police in chapel hill, Jim Allman, 06/03/2003