internetworkers - [internetworkers] commotion

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Thomas Beckett" <thomas AT tbeckett.com>
  • To: <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] commotion
  • Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 16:22:10 -0500 (EST)

A little while ago the cops and god-knows-who-else had
a couple blocks of Foster Street blocked off here in
downtown Durham. There were cop cars, ambulances, fire
trucks, the works. This is the street that runs in front
of the main downtown post office, which is also (sometimes)
a federal courthouse. Couldn't see to much despite my
high-rise p.o.v.

Things broke up a little and I developed a sudden need for
a cup of coffee, and had no choice but to head over to
Blue Coffee Company which is at Corcoran and Parrish. On
way back, latte in hand, I just happened to run into a TV
camera operator. He was just about all that remained of
the confab by then.

He told me that several suspicious envelopes had been discovered
in the post office. They had been collected from a letterbox
on a street somewhere. These envelopes were all addressed to
the President and seemed to have something loose rattling around
inside of them.

So the authorities -- I can only imagine someone in both biohazard
and bomb squad getup -- opened one of the envelopes in question and
discovered a bunch of rice.

Rice for Peace! Rock on!

TaB

P.S. And now I have a Buzzcocks song running through my head.