internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Window of Opportunity For Iraq War?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: BigLee Haslup <biglee AT haslups.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Window of Opportunity For Iraq War?
  • Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2003 01:09:28 -0500

My son, Chris, is in the Army (in Kuwait with the third infantry (mechanized). I remember him telling me that when the guys are on manoeuvres, and it is really, really cold, they put on parts of their Chemical/Biological/Nuclear suits because, while they aren't very heavy, they are very warm. The army claims to have issued them new, cooler, protective gear but I'm betting it is still not something you would want to wear on a hot day. So it's not a matter of hot-weather-weakened troops being more susceptible to chemicals, exactly, it is a matter of not being able to wear the rubber suit for more than so long without dying of heat stroke.

BigLee

At 06:07 PM 3/8/2003 -0500, you wrote:

Yes, it'll be easier on troops and equipment out of the summer heat.

>From what I've read, tho, chemical weapons ie mustard gas, etc dissipate
quicker in hot weather, so are harder to use effectively. OTOH, it might
make sense that hot-weather-weakened troops could be more susceptible to
them. Anyone care to experiment and send us a report? (J/k...)

--Sil

--
"If you put your supper dish to your ears you can hear the sounds
of a restaurant." --Snoopy (Charles Schultz 02-12-2000 RIP)