internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] this is going to be hard to explain to the grandkids...

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "H. Wade Minter" <minter AT lunenburg.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] this is going to be hard to explain to the grandkids...
  • Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 11:18:22 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 6 Mar 2003, David R. Matusiak wrote:

> "SCO is also demanding that IBM cease what it refers to as
> anti-competitive practices based on specific requirements sent in a
> notification letter to IBM. If the requirements are not met, SCO will
> have the authority to revoke IBM's AIX license 100 days following the
> receipt of SCO's letter."
>
> show of hands -- who is using SCO? on anything?

I think SCO's having deliusions of adequacy again.

--Wade

--
If you have a VCR or MP3 player, you need to read these links:

http://www.digitalconsumer.org/
http://digitalspeech.org/
http://www.libertyboard.org/
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 13:25:51 -0500 (EST)
From: Joey Carr <joey AT metalab.unc.edu>
To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/";
<internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Subject: Re: [internetworkers] this is going to be hard to explain to the
grandkids...

So, I guess I am a grandchild... since it needs 'splainin' to me. I have
no idea who SCO is. Looking at the SCO site, they, uhm, look both really
stupid and really scary. Can anyone figure out what the fuck SCO
OpenServer does? Is it, like, an OS or something, or is it an application
server?

First the stupid part. Check out this doublespeak:

<quote>
SCO not only grows your business, but now, with the introduction of new
SCO OpenServer Release 5.0.7, SCO continues to grow with your business.
>From the new SCO Update Service, which keeps you current on product
improvements, to integration with the latest open source software, to a
wider-than-ever range of hardware support options, SCO OpenServer Release
5.0.7 packs in all the functionality your business needs today and in the
future. It's the kind of advantage you'd expect from SCO, the supplier of
the most popular UNIX operating system for the Intel platform-in the
world.
</quote>
(http://www.caldera.com/products/openserver507/)

That's the opening paragraph of their top page on OpenServer. Has anyone
told these people that this kind of crap makes them sound like idiots?
Grow is not a transitive verb unless the subject is a plant. Words like
"functionality" and "business needs" convey no information.
Functionality does, after all, cover the gamut between regular expression
support in Java to "vibrates to drive her wild." Does OpenServer vibrate?
How am I supposed to know that my "business needs" match those that they
had in mind? Will OpenServer help me process credit card purchases? Will
it help me import Taiwanese hookers?

Now the scary part. Looks like they're trying to be intellectual
properties demons:

<quote>
Of course UNIX technology has been licensed since its inception, starting
with the original licenses offered by Bell Labs, through those of USL,
Novell, and now SCO. SCOsource will continue to offer traditional UNIX
System technology licensing activities, but it will also create new
licenses to meet the changing demands of today's market.

Changing market conditions are leading SCO to both expand its licensing
programs, and to take a more careful look at possible unlicensed use of
its intellectual property.
</quote>
(http://www.caldera.com/scosource/)