internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] domain name registration

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "K. Jo Garner" <kelly AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] domain name registration
  • Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 09:38:42 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 4 Sep 2002, Calvin Powers wrote:
->At the risk of being chastised by the geek crowd, I have decided to do all
->my future domain registration via Yahoo Web Services. They are more
->expensive than some ($35 per year as i recall) but you get one free e-mail
->account (pop,smtp, and web) with the account and unlimited e-mail
->forwarding. They can host sites on your domain too with several packages
->starting at $8.95 a month.
->
->You can find cheaper, but I have found Yahoo's web based registration
->interfaces and domain management interfaces to be easy to use and
->convenient. Check them out at http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info .

Have fun, but if you decide to host somewhere else other than Yahoo! good
luck getting them to change the DNS over to - well, anything - they
subcontract their domain managements, etc. to a co. in Australia and they
don't return emails, phone calls, ICQs, whatever. I call Yahoo for a
friend: "You need to contact so and so in Australia." We email them, and a
few days later: "You need to contact Yahoo." My friend does not profess to
be tech savvy, nor web-domain-management-smart, and just wanted a straight
answer from *someone*. Eventually, the bozos at Yahoo do their thing and
she's now hosted with Earthlink, and happy with them.

I registered vehicularchicken.org thru Go Daddy, it's cheap and since I'm
not doing anything with it right now it's being held for free. A friend
has tekay.org, which redirects to his personal page, and he registered
with Go Daddy as well. 7.95/year.

Cheers
KJ