internetworkers - Re: Can't work at home with basic TW RoadRunner

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Can't work at home with basic TW RoadRunner
  • Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 11:43:41 -0400

on Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 09:48:31AM -0400, Michael S Czeiszperger wrote:
> I got a registered letter yesterday from Time Warner, which
> threatened to cut off my home service for non-compliance with their
> usage policy:
>
> "A residential account is designed for informational and entertainment
> purposes only and any commercial activity is strictly prohibited."

Ask them to give you the entertainment without all the advertisements, then.

> My crime: working from home. The whole thing is wierd, since we use
> RR Business Class at work, and I've configured a VPN so that I can
> work from home one day a week. According to the email, if I want to
> work from home I have to upgrade to Road Runner Business Class at
> home too!
>
> Reading between the lines of the letter, it appears this is their
> attempt to reduce spam, which is commendable, but a pain for those
> of us trying to run legitimate businesses.

Are you sending a lot of mail? I generally have an ssh client open
most of the time, which I use primarily for email on my server, so I
haven't drawn any attention to myself. If TWC/RR is going by the
amount of mail you send, try using the high port (587) instead of 25.

http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/cgi-bin/rfc/rfc2476.html

The funny/sad thing is they may well be basing this accusation on the
amount of inbound port 80 traffic, most of which is likely just worms
and viruses on the other machines on their network...