internetworkers - RE: FW: IP: XP Updates Start to P.O. Users

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Bob Kucera" <bobkucera AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "'InterNetWorkers'" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: FW: IP: XP Updates Start to P.O. Users
  • Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 11:54:26 -0400

I've been using XP since Feb. and it works fine. It seems the advantage
over w2000 would be the support of older peripherals that w2000 left
behind and probably their touted multimedia device support
(cameras,video,speech, etc.) which I haven't tried. The ms OS's each
have gotten more stable - to the point that I've recommended to not
spend resources in a large rollout for machine specific recovery
precautions (machine specific saved ghost images or recovery disks)
since w2000 replaced NT4 - but definitely keep important files saved off
the machine as always.

The automatic upgrades are a problem to me because I'd like to think I
know whats being installed on my machine - no games, links to partners,
reports of anything to anybody - so I decline that option and use the
Windows update to selectively update the OS. Also, I don't know what
that would lead to if the client base has the option of updating and
reporting every time the pop up option occurs - it seems like it would
lead to a lot of unusual situations to support.

Otherwise, its good to continue upgrading as MS rolls out their versions
- if you can afford it and if you can live with yourself complying with
what I see as MS' marketing scheme. For the $ I also have recommended
skipping XP and going with their next OS which I predict they will
market as soon as a good # of people have bought into XP. (i.e. buy 95,
skip 98, buy NT, skip ME, buy 2000, skip XP, . . .). There is more to
it but this is one way to go; probably the easiest, maybe the most
expensive.

It would be interesting to set up non-MS OS platforms, MS OS and non-MS
apps (get away from MSOfficeSuite and InternetExplorer) and think of how
to introduce that in a corporate environment - considering total cost of
ownership. I can imagine doing one machine at a time to start and
advancing to a group with a standard platform and adding groups as the
previous group's rollout is stabilized.

Bob Kucera
2337 Glendale Ave.
Durham, NC 27704