internetworkers - RE: Peace Rally

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: B <beeline AT mindspring.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Peace Rally
  • Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 14:18:11 -0400

My favorite quote about First Amendment freedoms:

"[The framers] believed that freedom to think as you will and to speak
as you think are means indispensable to the discovery and spread of
political truth; that without free speech and assembly discussion would
be futile; that with them, discussion affords ordinarily adequate
protection against the dissemination of noxious doctrine; that the
greatest menace to freedom is an inert people; that public discussion is
a political duty; and that this should be a fundamental principle of the
American government.... But they knew ... that fear breeds repression;
that repression breeds hate; that hate menaces stable government; that
the path of safety lies in the opportunity to discuss freely supposed
grievances and proposed remedies; and that the fitting remedy for evil
counsels is good ones."

Justice Brandeis
Handbook of Free Speech and Free Press,
c. 1979 by Jerome A. Barron and C. Thomas Dienes
Little, Brown and Company

(I'm particularly fond of the part that says "the fitting remedy for
evil counsels is good ones," although the bit about "fear breeds
repression" could be a timely thing to consider right now.)

"Andrew C. Oliver" wrote:

> Actually I think the more appropriate quite to sum that one up is
>
> "I disagree with everything you're saying, but I'd die for your right to
> say it"
>
> Which I think was Thomas Pane, but I could be wrong.
>
> I agree to a certain point. Support peace protesters, defend the right
> to do so, but when the terrorists crash a plane into the peace protest,
> I'll probably be more inspired to say I told you so than stage another
> peace protest.
>
> This is religious to the people who directly commit these acts, in the
> Jerry Fallwell sense of religion. To the people who commence them, its
> about power, religion is an excuse. The appeasement analogy holds.
>
> >Subject: RE: Peace Rally
> >From: "Shea Tisdale" <shea AT sheatisdale.com>
> >Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 21:57:17 -0400
> >
> >They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
> >safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
> >
> >I support the idea of decisive action and I'm not opposed to war - but
> >I fully support and will defend the rights of the peace protestors. I
> >respect those that have given their lives for the cause so much
> >that I can't let them down by not doing so.
>
> --
> www.superlinksoftware.com
> www.sourceforge.net/projects/poi - port of Excel format to java
> http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/bugParade/bugs/4487555.html
> - fix java generics!
>
> The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to
> vote.
> -Ambassador Kosh

> You are currently subscribed to internetworkers as: beeline AT mindspring.com

"B"ing mobile
"If you get to thinkin' you're
a person of some influence, try
orderin' somebody else's dog around."