internetworkers - Re: need help: mac files need to be opened by pc user

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc: naglergirl AT aol.com
  • Subject: Re: need help: mac files need to be opened by pc user
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 22:27:39 -0500

on Tue, Jan 02, 2001 at 10:15:35PM -0500, saundrakaerubel.com wrote:
> The PC people are having trouble opening her iMac word documents on their
> PCs. She did use Stuff-it to compress her word docs. But what utility can
> she use on a iMac that the PC users can easily use and see her word docs?

ZipIt is a good one:

http://maczipit.com

and the new version of StuffIt Deluxe will create and read Zip files.

http://www.aladdinsys.com/stuffit/

Alternately, she can have the PC folk get off their butts and get a
copy of Stuffit Expander for Windows:

http://www.aladdinsys.com/expander/

...although my PC-using partner here says it sucks. (I suspect it has
to do with the differences in file formats between Mac and Windows, but
hey - I've never had problems with it :)

One more option is just to send the files without stuffing them, as
Word documents are just RTF these days, and can be opened on either
platform without any problems, provided both versions of Word are
reasonably up-to-date.

Steve

--
tired of being an underappreciated functionary in a soulless machine?
hesketh.com is hiring: http://www.hesketh.com/careers/