internetworkers - Re: interesting digital divide forum

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Kishau Rogers" <knsmith AT emji.net>
  • To: "'InterNetWorkers'" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: interesting digital divide forum
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 10:55:17 -0400

Hello everyone,
I will take a moment to delurk and say that I agree with Laura that "I
haven't seen anything about this group that promotes non-diversity". I
have enjoyed reading the post and I am looking forward to attending my first
meeting. I haven't been to any of the meetings so I'm not aware of who's
African American vs. who's not. However, I do believe that the lack of
African Americans on the list may be an indication of the number of African
Americans in this field (in this area at least). I am an African-American
female and as an undergraduate student, I remember enrolling in the Computer
Science department, with 10-15 other African Americans and at graduation
there were only 2 of us left! Working with children to expose technology
and possibility influence them to choose IT as a career is a great idea.
This is where this 'movement' needs to start (IMO).

Most of my work is in the DC/VA area, so I don't know many 'techies' in this
area, if I did I would certainly refer them to this list.

Kishau