internetworkers - RE: Geeks + Diversity

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "uzoma nwosu" <uzoma AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Geeks + Diversity
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 10:48:46 -0400

> I don't think you have to conform, but you should at least be aware of the
> following habitually referenced topics:
>
> -- Monty Python (esp. Holy Grail)
> -- Star Trek
> -- Haiku and Puns
> -- Open Source as a cure for all of societies ills.

Spoken like a true geek. :)

I agree with you, sir.

> Questions abound here - and I'm not sure who would have the answers.
>
> Question #1 - are there many African-American (or other ethnically
> underrepresented) geeks-types in the area? A lot of the
> InterNetWorkers are
> not hardcore techies, but most members seem to at least understand the
> common humor and history of the web, unix, Mac vs. PC, M$, etc...

That's what I'm trying to find out. Even I don't know. There are out
there, but where?

> Question #2 - if there *are* ethnic geek-types around, what cultural
> references would help me to communicate with such a geek? What movies,
> music, etc... In other words, how could *I* conform to help get the ball
> rolling?

Ask David Matusiak. ;)

> Question #3 - What projects or activities would be likely to
> attract members
> of both communities?

Good Question... At the risk of playing myself, I will state some general
things: urban music(hip hop, r+b, etc), art, sports. We are not that
different... Anyone else?

Uzoma