internetworkers - Re: Clinton's Digital Divide NewMarkets Tour

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Austin, Roger" <rda AT rti.org>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Clinton's Digital Divide NewMarkets Tour
  • Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2000 12:48:30 -0400

David Matusiak wrote:
> please allow the young, over-worked, under-paid/appreciated, and obviously
> stupid person to comment:

David, it doesn't get any better as you get older. :) Go for a nice
long walk and smell some flowers...if you don't mind the pollen.
<snip>

I grew up in western NC in an area where people worked long days to
scratch out a living. I got the opportunity to go to college through the
hard work of my parents and myself during my school years. Many people
have done the same, nothing special there, except that I had the
opportunity.
Others I met when I first went to NCSU were from urban areas and
already had many of the beginning courses in their high school days.
They took for granted knowledge that I didn't even know existed. (I
didn't know "What I didn't know".) This is similar to some people today.
There are many who know very little about knowledge which we take for
granted here in the Triangle. Almost everyone here (RTP area) has
opportunities for education to some degree. It is easy to sit here and
dismiss the rest of the state as a bunch of slackers. I can tell you
that those people work very hard. They care deeply about their lives and
the future of family. There are plenty of people who will take advantage
of opportunities given the chance.

> this whole issue is beyond my level of comprehension. whatever happened to
> the whole "god helps those who help themselves" thing??

As a non-religionist, I guess I would ignore the god thing. :) I
personally think this is propaganda from the ancient right-wingers
trying to keep the peasants in line. It isn't really true since people
get ahead for a number of reasons including lineage, location, brains,
talent, etc. All people start with different levels of opportunity. I
think my opportunity to get into Harvard was zilch and it didn't have
anything to do with ability.
<snip>

> this is all totally ridiculous. place a greater responsibility (or burden
> if you're evil) on those _already_ paying the majority of taxes and abiding
> by the social contract, so those slacking can slack more. puh-leeze.
<snip>

You didn't start out with nothing on your way to where you are now. I
didn't either. Someone, be it parents, teachers, or others, showed you
the way or gave you an opportunity which you took advantage of to get
ahead. There have been many people who had opportunity and blew it off.
That is fine. Those who have had very little or no opportunity are a
great resource that we can tap with small amounts of resources.
I do wonder if putting lots of resources on Internet access is the
right way to expend education resources, but that is a separate issue.

Roger (working hard in RTP, but looking for opportunities...)