internetworkers - Re: Clinton's Digital Divide NewMarkets Tour

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Austin, Roger" <rda AT rti.org>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Clinton's Digital Divide NewMarkets Tour
  • Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2000 12:48:30 -0400

My take is that the digital divide movement is about reducing the
differences in those with techno skills and those without. It is the
latest attempt to bridge the gaps that develop in modern societies
between rich-n-poor, haves-n-havenots, wired-n-unwired, etc.
Well meaning people want to help those who they perceive as unskilled.
I don't know if I completely buy the idea that the nonwired community is
lacking. It probably can't hurt to be aware of the wired world, but I
hope this isn't looked at as a panacea for curing poverty. I'd rather
they trained people as carpenters and electricians and sent them to
Raleigh. From the last quote I got on some construction work, they would
be much better off with those skills than geek skills.
Empowering people isn't a bad thing unless they disagree with me of
course.
Roger (empowered by a bowl of pintos in RTP)

Rachel Cox wrote:

> At 05:32 PM 4/4/00 -0400, Ruby Sinreich wrote:
>
> >"New markets?" We should empower poor poeple so they can buy more stuff!
> >Barf.
>
> Wow. Talk about a cynical oversimplification of a complex and
> difficult issue - and without a single realistic alternative,
> too. Indeed, without any alternative. I'm impressed.
<snip>