internetworkers - most massive internet concentration moves to DC

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Paul Jones <pjones AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: most massive internet concentration moves to DC
  • Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 22:54:10 -0400 (EDT)

the biggest federal feedtrougth is now the biggest high tech area says the
NYTimes (see below). I was there this past weekend and yes many many folks
there are and have been involved in mega-projects whilst west coasters
have been smaller by comparison (say to AOL or EDS). are we the fringe of
DC?

INFORMATION SUPERHIGHWAY IS JUST OUTSIDE THE BELTWAY

The Washington area has been growing as a technological center in recent
years, and now employs more high-tech workers than California's Silicon
Valley or Boston's Route 128. Although Washington is most commonly
associated with the federal government, the region's 470,000 high-tech
workers now outnumber its 350,000 federal government employees. Although
Silicon Valley and Route 128 remain the leaders by measures of
manufacturing and industry profits, Washington is now the home of over
9,000 tech firms. Many of the area's residents, including those employed
by the government, are migrating to Internet, computer services, telecom,
aerospace, and biotechnology businesses. For example at America Online,
the largest tech firm in the Washington area, most public relations
employees came to the company from politics or government jobs. Adding to
the region's tech growth, Amazon.com today announced that it will open a
national data center in the Virginia suburbs. (New York Times 10/12/99)

Paul Jones
"We must protect our precious bodily fluids!" General Jack D Ripper
http://MetaLab.unc.edu/pjones/ at the Site Formerly Known As SunSITE.unc.edu
pjones AT MetaLab.unc.edu voice: (919) 962-7600 fax: (919) 962-8071