internetworkers - Re: most massive internet concentration moves to DC

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: most massive internet concentration moves to DC
  • Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 13:38:36 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 14 Oct 1999, Eric Knisley wrote:
> I was in DC just a couple weeks ago, working with some VR people and
> Compaq computers. There are projects going there that dwarf anything
> local--orbital cameras that can read license plates from space in
> near-real-time, etc. The companies I spoke to all mentioned the fact
> that we are just a few hours from the capitol area, and seemed to think
> that was an advantage.

Judging from some of the organizations I've encountered, they also have
a fairly active VC community:

http://www.netpreneur.org/

They've been around since 1995 or earlier, IIRC, and they're similar in
focus to the CED, but geared more towards Net-specific startups rather
than biotech and the like. I've been on their calendar newsletter for a
long time, and participated by invitation in their discussion mailing
list, but they seemed very focused on DC to the exclusion of pretty much
anywhere else, so I unsub'd a couple of years ago.

Steve
--
business: http://hesketh.com ...custom medium- to large-scale web sites
the book: http://dhtml-guis.com ...Building Dynamic HTML GUIs from IDG