internetworkers - Re: the triangle as startup-friendly region

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Paul Jones <pjones AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: the triangle as startup-friendly region
  • Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 16:06:25 -0400 (EDT)

no offense to upside, but jason "hollywood" mccabe calacanis seems to me
to get it when it comes to covering technology companies. he had at top
100 in silicon alley reporter before upside got going and he's funnier
too. he has doug rushkoff writing where upside has tish. doug is deeper
and jason is in the new yorker this month whilst upside is crawling out of
a pc magazine past.
that is to say that jason covers the culture the parties and the
excitement while upside is utilitarian in comparison. useful but not hot.

at the upside conferencee there were people there to smell the deals --
that is to say useful--there was golf and meals from duke bidnez school.

at silicon alley's there was the guy who pied bill gates, dj spooky and
talk about how to include those who might be left out. there was sushi and
dancing.

now if i got to pick how to develop a community...

Paul Jones
"We must protect our precious bodily fluids!" General Jack D Ripper
http://MetaLab.unc.edu/pjones/ at the Site Formerly Known As SunSITE.unc.edu
pjones AT MetaLab.unc.edu voice: (919) 962-7600 fax: (919) 962-8071