homestead - Re: [Homestead] Missouri taxation

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Missouri taxation
  • Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 16:43:26 -0400

I read the page, but I have a mental block when it comes to taxes. Since this morning, I read and googled a bit and it seems Georgia has transfer taxes, too. I read that they are tacked on when real estate is sold, but I'm not sure how it works if real estate is inherited. It seems more like a fee than a tax. That page states that transfer taxes are anti-family and that it is double taxation, but if other states already have transfer taxes, why hasn't it been challenged before on the double tax thing? I just feel like I am missing something. How is it that Missouri doesn't have this already?
I went and pulled out some paperwork from my mortgage and yup, there are transfer taxes...it is a percent....hmmm.

I just reread the link I posted. It seems that the realtors are the ones promoting the amendment that would prevent the tax. Who benefits from this tax? I am guessing that the realtors are against this because it might cut into their commissions?