homestead - Re: [Homestead] Grits-Polenta, OMG I am confused!<g>

  • From: sjc <indexer AT fairpoint.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Grits-Polenta, OMG I am confused!<g>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 21:54:31 -0400

On 10/17/2010 2:43 PM, EarthNSky wrote:
What the heck??
Never heard of yellow grits. Always knew grits to be of hominy and somewhere I read long ago that the word "hominy" does not appear on commercial packaging to thwart those who think they don't like hominy; no clue how true or untrue that may be.

The hominy-making process makes a less corn-flavored grit, to my mind. Not a grits fan, since we lived for 20 years in grits territory I used to fix them sometimes anyway, mostly so my kids were familiar with them. Two of them liked them, the other used to call grits "gritty white paste". Grits and mashed potato (white ones) were the only two things he has ever rejected; he has since been all over the world and eaten and enjoyed a lot of things, both raw and cooked, that I'm thankful I'm not faced with so I have no clue why he hated grits which seem pretty innocuous compared to some of the stuff he's raved about.

As to the corn you have, if there were no instructions, I'd think it would likely benefit from a longer soak or soak/cooking time than regular white grits. It will work in cornbread, I imagine. I'd make cornmeal mush and fry it, myself; having grown up in midwestern hog and corn country, that was staple fare there and I still like it. Best with pork, and best fried crisp. The cornmeal I use is likely coarser than that (assuming the bits of the yellow are the same size as the long-cook form of white grits) since it's milled by my brother in a very old mill; he grinds every other week and sends 2 pounds up here each time. No cornmeal is at it's best unless pretty freshly ground, IMHO.

Should you still decide it's not for humans, I'm sure the chickens will be
thrilled.

SJ