homestead - Re: [Homestead] Coal

  • From: VAN DELL JORDAN <vdjor AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Coal
  • Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 19:57:38 -0800 (PST)

We have coal on our land. Part of it is a reclaimed mine and at one end I
see outcrops of coal we could mine. but we have about 100 aces of woods to
thin anyway so coal looks like more trouble than it is worth. We might dig a
little for blacksmithing but this is soft coal and last time we tried it was
way too smoky for an asthmatic to use. Turning it into coke would be
something to try but I'm sure more work that it warrents.
Van Dell