homestead - Re: [Homestead] Let's Hash This Out..

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Let's Hash This Out..
  • Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 13:49:51 -0400

From: "EarthNSky" <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
But do you or do you not feel that the Office itself is due respect,
regardless of the person holding the office? I feel that is does.

There are two different meaning of 'respect'; one is deference to someone because they have certain rights or privileges, and the other is holding someone in esteem because of personal qualities or abilities. You can show respect for someone's position without respecting the person.

Many positions are due the respect of a title (Mr. President, Your Honor, Officer, Doctor, etc). That I do believe; it's just good manners. But there is a difference between TREATING someone with respect and supporting someone just because he is the president. That's why I don't name-call or insult the president; I respect the office. But I have no problem disagreeing with him or his policies or even deciding that an entire administration is totally on the wrong track.

I really like Lynda's Theodore Roosevelt quote:
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we
are to stand by the President right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and
servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public."

Lynn Wigglesworth
Tioga Co. PA