homestead - Re: [Homestead] Our digital trail - "Orwellian future"

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Our digital trail - "Orwellian future"
  • Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 20:38:00 -0500

Lynn Wigglesworth wrote:
I just wonder how they link all this information to a person. It has to be through something you do voluntarily, like use a credit card, or a store card. or a cell phone.

Yes...add in, voter registration, driver's license, tag/license your
vehicle. Of course the master cataloger is your SS#....even though that
is illegal, I think.
Video quality has improved to the point that all a department needs is a
good face recognition program and some training.

I saw this story on Atlanta TV and searched it online. I don't know if
the video is the same as the aired story, but the implications of this
are scary.
http://www.wsbtv.com/video/18036344/index.html
So even when the image clears your good name, you still pay.

If I didn't want someone knowing what I'm doing, I'd
pay cash and not give my name. Maybe loss of privacy is the price of using cell phones, credit cards, airplanes etc...all are a choice.

I'm guessing that every once in a while you visit Walmart. The next
time you go, park a bit away from the building and look at the building.
Count the cameras...note that there are multiple cameras at each pole.
My local Walmart has over 30 cameras on the front of the building
alone. I'd be scared to think of how many are inside.
Note the number of cameras at your local gas station.

hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda
http://www.myspace.com/tervetuloa13