homestead - Re: [Homestead] Sheetrock under rabbit cages

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Sheetrock under rabbit cages
  • Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 15:19:18 -0800

Arg, that was the ex's job <g> and a long time ago. <g> I think he did the complete under the cage thing about every 6 weeks to 3 months and the sheetrock had become a crumbly mess with the pellets.

Now, the thing is he had it doing triple duty. We had the rabbit cages handing in a barn on two walls. He put sheetrock up behind the cages to keep the urine off the walls. Then he had the "chute" piece that came away from the wall at an angle toward the front so that everything kinda slid down. On the ground where everything slid to, he had more sheetrock. So, the sheetrock started on the wall behind the cages and then moved to being the chute and when it become more beat up (began to fall apart), it became the stuff on the ground. I'm guessing that all told the sheetrock lasted between 6 and 9 months.

However, by the time it went into the compost, it had really fallen apart and crumbled into little pieces and the paper had more or less disintegrated.

Lynda, how long does it take for a piece of sheetrock, say the 5/8"
thick stuff, to loose its integrity under rabbit cages?