homestead - Re: [Homestead] Sheetrock under rabbit cages

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Sheetrock under rabbit cages
  • Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 21:54:23 -0800

Well, rabbits are inclined to urinate quite a bit, so the degree of moisture was never a concern. Now, I'm not sure about your weather but we had quite a bit of humidity and frequent inversion layers (heat that beat down on you) in good ol' Wine Country. Seems it wasn't quite as humid as when we hauled horses in the south but close enough. I would think you wouldn't need to add any additional moisture. Of course, the sheets had been well "irrigated" by the time they ended up in the bottom of everything <g>

I think the urine was a good part of the process of breaking down the sheetrock. I'm not sure diluting it would help.

ok, that's what I was hoping to hear. I made 'bins' out of scrap wood,
about 6-8 inches deep under the hanging cages to keep the pellets in one
place (I swear those things bounce more than superballs..lol) Today, I
started my biannual shovel-out, and hopefully I will finish it this week
while I am on vacation. I have some leftover grody-;ooking sheetrock to
lay down on the bottom of the bins and hopefully by next summer, when
it's time to shovel out again, it'll be crumbly. It's pretty dry in
there, though, the only moisture is the urine. Perhaps I should wet it
down once a month or so to help things along? It's a 4 doe/1 buck
operation, and right now, I have a couple of cages of grow-outs..