homestead - Re: [Homestead] Guard donkey

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Guard donkey
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 19:39:32 EDT

> Is this a common trait of donkeys in such a situation? How would you
> evaluate the pros and cons of donkey versus dog for guard duty?

Lynda touched on the most important point, if the pasture is a sufficient
resource, you don't have to feed the donkey. Donkey's occupy an odd niche in
that, they eat grass but also browse and will eat moss and lichen when they
can
get it. That is, a donkey doesn't crowd out too many goats or sheep because
their preferences of food don't overlap that much.

Also a donkey can pack 250 lbs or carry a 180 lb rider which a dog can't.
Donkeys can also do light draft work.

Donkeys live far longer than dogs, 40 years isn't unusual.

--------------------------

This could be a pro or a con .... a dog, if so predisposed, wants to herd the
herd, a donkey on the other hand wants to be part of the herd. Here the
donkey will not gladly separate from the huge draft horse. He will pace the
fence
and bray loudly until Himself returns. To a lesser extent he herds the
goats,
although he doesn't suffer fools and capriciousness gladly. A few knocks in
the head and the raunchiest billy goat settles down considerably. Nobody
herds with the cow who considers herself Queen of the Universe but she has
worked
out a truce with the rest of the pasture animals and we leave that caucus up
to them.

The con is that in all likelyhood the donkey will have to have his hooves
trimmed and shaped. We do that ourselves, it is not difficult and he quite
cooperates with it.

Donkeys are getting to be quite common here abouts and I'd say Burrito is
very representative. Donkeys are in the main quite gentle and quite aware
that
altougth they can kick the goat into the middle of next week, they cannot do
that to a person. Even when frightened and agitated, the donkey pulls his
punches around people. This seems to be characteristic .....although a good
number
of people each year are killed by donkeys ... occupational hazard, don't mess
around on the business end of a donkey. Contrasting to their gentleness
around people, they are very aggressive with anything they deem to no belong
in
the pasture, and the screening test is rigorous. Very few things stand still
when rushed at by a 500-600lb donkey.

You have to take my comments in the light of the fact that I'm not a dog
person. I like the farmstead dogs, they are useful and earn their keep. But
me they are just farm animals. Oh, I'd tend one like I wouldn't a rabbit or
even a goat, I suppose. The Aussie Shepherd was bitten by a pit viper (on
the
muzzle) two days ago and got to lounge around and be pitied. She's much
better
now and so it's back to work. </HTML>