homestead - Re: [Homestead] Bees

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Bees
  • Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 21:59:52 EDT

> I find this empowering. To make sure I am taking this as intended,
> you feel that bees can be, or are, the canary in the mine of modern
> life with chemicals?

Yes, that's it.

Human beings have a high degree of resistance to toxins. Many creatures do
not and honeybees have very, very little.

One year we bought our bulk wheat from a feedmill where the milner had his
hopper full of feed he was about to use in making horse feed. Many people we
knew recoiled and remonstrated at the thought of making bread with wheat
intended for horses. But, as we pointed out, the concern should be just the
opposite. People can "tolerate" the fungicides, pesticides, and all manner
of
adulterations done to wheat to store it and transport it, but those
adulterations
would kill a horse. Wheat that goes into horse feed must be much cleaner
than
wheat that goes into human food.

Or as one disparaging friend used to say ought to be the USDA's motto, "Why
do we put that in your food? Because you can take it!" </HTML>