homestead - Re: [Homestead] Bees

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Bees
  • Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 10:07:59 EDT

> Is anyone in the group a beekeeper?

I've been keeping bees for about 20 years. Back then keeping bees was a
piece of cake. It has become more and more difficult to succeed all along.

All my hives are Top Bar hives now and I DON'T recommend that for beginning
beekeepers. I and many beekeepers I talk to have noticed a general decline
in
the vigor of hives for some years now.

I've read everything I could find on the Colony Collapse phenomenon and none
of the proffered explanations really holds water. The thing is, bees are
very, very sensitive to stress and toxins. People used to raise concerns
about
treating a hive with this or that, or preserving the wood of a hive with
copper,
or using glyophosate around hives ..... but one thing is for certain, if it
doesn't kill the bees it isn't going to do you any harm.

Starting up in bees has always been iffy. But now of days only do it if you
can afford to write off the time and expense completely if they should fail.

</HTML>