homestead - Re: [Homestead] Bees

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Bees
  • Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 09:42:56 -0400

Is anyone in the group a beekeeper?

Beginner, this is my second year.

I was asking my brother about the problems with
colonies dying off. He said that he had noticed that
even before it made the news.

I lost one hive this winter out of the two I started.They were the
weaker hive of the two, but I left a full super of honey for both
hives and fed them. It seemed like they were just gone. My other hive
is doign well.

Since we are would like to have some bees on our
property he said that he would set up a couple of
hives for us. We will place them up in the old deer
stands in hopes that they will appeal to a swarm,
which is how he gets his.

That's interesting. My goal is to get another hive going this year to
replace the one I lost. A swarm would be great.

Rob - Va