homestead - Re: [Homestead] Bees

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Bees
  • Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 15:08:36 -0800

There is some question about folks making up "food" for their bees during the winter and that they are using corn syrup. Corn syrup is made from GMO corn. My cousin hasn't lost any hives and he went to all organic whatevers to do whatever the heck it is when you have hives you need to "feed" during the winter.

Ah, can you tell I haven't a clue about raising bees <g> Just know what the discussion was around the kitchen table a couple of years ago.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>

Is anyone in the group a beekeeper?

Beginner, this is my second year.

I was asking my brother about the problems with
colonies dying off. He said that he had noticed that
even before it made the news.

I lost one hive this winter out of the two I started.They were the
weaker hive of the two, but I left a full super of honey for both
hives and fed them. It seemed like they were just gone. My other hive
is doign well.