homestead - Re: [Homestead] It was different all right

  • From: "Gloria Morris" <gloriamorris59 AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] It was different all right
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 17:16:53 -0600

On 1/18/07, EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net> wrote:
We tried the same when TJ was homeschooling. Apparently, from what we
were told, OSHA has regs about minors being on the sites. HFH, like any
other organization these days, worries about lawsuits from injuries.

That might be the reason, although he was old enough to work in IL at
the time. We talked about doing things which would not involve
scaffolding, etc., to avoid legal issues, but they weren't interested,
it seemed. Wish they'd explained their reasoning rather than just not
returning calls and not getting back with us. It left me with a
negative feeling about the organization that I'd not had previously.

I dunno about that Glo...I always feel selfish because I get so much out
of it, too. I do it as much for me as I do for them..lol..but like you
say, now I try to help people I know when it comes to labor.

I often find joy in shared work. Therefore, I can get as much pleasure
out of my friends' or family's company helping to install a floor or
build a fence as I can just visiting with them. I've had more fun
talking, laughing, and just communing with friends while we worked on
projects, sometimes, than I've had at some parties. So I don't think
it is selfish at all to enjoy helping people. Some of my most
treasured memories with my Dad involve the summer that I helped him
build his barn. It isn't selfish, it is human, I think, to enjoy doing
things like that with and for people you care about.

They say
that time heals all wounds, but in my opinion, it is labor that heals,
especially emotional wounds. Today is the first anniversary of my
father's death.

((((((((((((((((((((((Bev)))))))))))))))))))))))))))) I'm sorry.
Anniversaries are hard.

I've kept busy today...could NOT get to sleep last night and ended up
sleeping until noon..so when I got up, I had to make double time, and I
stayed busy...I canned/pickled some jalepenos a friend gave me, I
cleaned the bathrooms, kept the fire going, but most of all, I FINISHED
binding all of my printed material. I ended up with 7 4" binders,
FULL...so if anyone wants to know anything, after reading all of it and
more that I tossed over the last couple of weeks, I can find things
easily now..LOL..

WOW! I'm impressed! That is quite an accomplishment!

Gloria