homestead - Re: [Homestead] It was different all right

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] It was different all right
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 17:27:38 -0500

Gloria Morris wrote:

Sorry your experience was so much less than you'd hoped. I have never
seen this show, but I'm not surprised at all. I remember years ago when the PBS show This Old House was really about people rehabbing old houses in a somewhat realistic fashion, the homeowners tackling projects within their scope of abilities, and contractors doing the balance. Then it commercialized. The projects got more and more unrealistic (for the top tier earners in the US, pretty much). And I
stopped watching.

Yeah, Sears is a BIG sponsor of EMHE..everything is Kenmore..lots of
Sears reps there..

I hope you have better luck than we did. Back when my son was in Boy
Scouts, he wanted to do a service project for Habitat. I was thrilled, as I figured that was a project I'd like to help with. He called the local Habitat, to find out what we could do, and they were
not receptive to receiving our help!

We tried the same when TJ was homeschooling. Apparently, from what we
were told, OSHA has regs about minors being on the sites. HFH, like any
other organization these days, worries about lawsuits from injuries.
TJ ended up replacing glass and painting windows on an old school house,
currently used as a community center for his Eagle project. Renovations
on the old school are still ongoing. You can see pics here:
http://www.gordoncounty.org/news.asp?id=05132001006
In the second photo, you can see a building in the background to the
right. You can see two of the twenty some odd windows on the building.
It kind of looks like an old church, and it was before Sherman burned
it, before it was a school.
Those are TJ's windows...lol..

Right now, I've got more of my own projects to complete than I have time. But when I donate labor, it is to help friends and neighbors, good people I know who can use a hand.

Good try, Bev!!!! You have a good heart.

I dunno about that Glo...I always feel selfish because I get so much out
of it, too. I do it as much for me as I do for them..lol..but like you
say, now I try to help people I know when it comes to labor. They say
that time heals all wounds, but in my opinion, it is labor that heals,
especially emotional wounds. Today is the first anniversary of my
father's death.
I've kept busy today...could NOT get to sleep last night and ended up
sleeping until noon..so when I got up, I had to make double time, and I
stayed busy...I canned/pickled some jalepenos a friend gave me, I
cleaned the bathrooms, kept the fire going, but most of all, I FINISHED
binding all of my printed material. I ended up with 7 4" binders,
FULL...so if anyone wants to know anything, after reading all of it and
more that I tossed over the last couple of weeks, I can find things
easily now..LOL..I probably threw away 1/3 of everything I had initially
saved, mostly duplicate stuff and things I had already tried that did
not work for me.
I have a Gardening book, a Goats book, a Homestead book (assorted info),
a Survival book, a Health book, a Food Preservation book, and an Animal
Care book. :) It's a good feeling to have that done after putting it
off for so many years.
It's a cold, nasty day here....not really inducive to happiness, so it
is the little things like a warm fire and nice emails like yours that
bring comfort.
Thanks.

Bev

--
Bevanron of EarthNSky Farm Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the
ocean's depths, MY son is protecting YOUR freedom.