homestead - Re: [Homestead] canoes & kayaks & Alaska, was Routasigner

  • From: sanrico AT highdesert.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] canoes & kayaks & Alaska, was Routasigner
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 10:45:58 -0800 (PST)

Good morning, all -
I realize this thread is pretty old and may have sorta petered out by now,
but...
t'other day, pulling out of my place on Route 66, I waited for a bike to pass
me
going west (I was headed to Barstow). I don't know if I can describe the
contraption, obviously a homemade 'custom' job - it was as if he'd taken a
sidecar and affixed it to the back, like a very tiny camper...obviously just
for
carrying essentials. It was neat.
I made a left at Yermo-Daggett Road, heading for the freeway, but he kept on
going on the old road. Sigh. I didn't want to tell him he'd have to get off
and
end up on the 40 anyway, 'cause 66 is cut into by a finger of the military
base.
I hope he wasn't too disappointed. I'm sure part of the adventure of his
journey
was to go all the way on Route 66.
I am reminded of him and his spirit every time I reach that corner, and wish
him
well.
He had Alaska plates.
Sandy