homestead - Re: [Homestead] It was different all right

  • From: "Gloria Morris" <gloriamorris59 AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] It was different all right
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 05:38:58 -0600

On 1/17/07, EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net> wrote:
I was there. It seems a lot of executives have moved into the community
and the houses reflect that. I know the family story is a tough one,
but something is not sitting well with me on all of this....there is
just a bit too much luxury and status associated with building a house
there...the property owners association is powerful, too. Personally, I
would rather see EMHE work in less affluent areas like the Gulf coast
where so many are still dealing with Katrina after effects, but hey,
whatever makes good TV.

Sorry your experience was so much less than you'd hoped. I have never
seen this show, but I'm not surprised at all. I remember years ago
when the PBS show This Old House was really about people rehabbing old
houses in a somewhat realistic fashion, the homeowners tackling
projects within their scope of abilities, and contractors doing the
balance. Then it commercialized. The projects got more and more
unrealistic (for the top tier earners in the US, pretty much). And I
stopped watching.

I suppose that to get what I was looking for
out of the project, I need to volunteer with Habitat for Humanity or
something. It just wasn't what I expected.

I hope you have better luck than we did. Back when my son was in Boy
Scouts, he wanted to do a service project for Habitat. I was thrilled,
as I figured that was a project I'd like to help with. He called the
local Habitat, to find out what we could do, and they were not
receptive to receiving our help!

Right now, I've got more of my own projects to complete than I have
time. But when I donate labor, it is to help friends and neighbors,
good people I know who can use a hand.

Good try, Bev!!!! You have a good heart.

Gloria