homestead - Re: [Homestead] Water, water, water, was Ram pump

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Water, water, water, was Ram pump
  • Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 14:05:55 -0500

This year, with the ultra raised beds, my tank isn't high enough for
this simple gravity system to work. I have a pump, but I didn't want to
use electricity to run it, so I mostly hauled water via 5 gallon bucket
to the beds and watered plants individually. I did not water as much as
I should have due to my broken arm at the beginning of the summer and
the drought finally caught up with me, but had I been healthier, my
garden would have been just as productive this year as it was in years
past.

Ah, there it is. Relate your broken arm to my advancing age and you have the insight to my perspective. If necessary, today I could haul water from the stream in buckets to water the garden. Tomorrow, who knows? And there is the ultimate issue of time. Who among us has too much of that?

Yes, crud, fish poop, etc., are good for the garden. An open irrigation system, which most people do not have sufficient water to operate, works fine with dirty water. A more water-efficient and time-efficient system uses some type of pipe to deliver the water, often very close to the plant roots. Weep hoses/drip hoses, call them whatever, work great at low pressure but have the common condition of plugging up if the water is dirty.

I have more water than I can use. My suggestions here are to help those who don't have enough.