homestead - Re: [Homestead] Ram pump rules of thumb

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Ram pump rules of thumb
  • Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 08:39:00 -0500

He said that a ram needs a minimum of three feet of fall. Lift water is
proportional to fall. For 10 feet of fall, if lift is 50 feet, the output
will be 1/5 the input water, for 100 feet the output water will be 1/10 the
input water. Five feet of fall will be half that and three feet will be
one third, 20 feet of fall will be double and so on.

That all seems to agree with what I have gleaned from other sources. I am figuring on pumping less than one-tenth of the stream flow and believe it will give me more water than I need, the excess will be directed to what today are charmingly called water features and used to be called streams, waterfalls, fountains and pools. The greatest thing about ram pumps, after the fact that they use no electricity or other purchased power, is that they run continuously. While you read, dance or sleep, your tanks are being filled.