homestead - Re: [Homestead] Water, water, water, was Ram pump rules of thumb

  • From: Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Water, water, water, was Ram pump rules of thumb
  • Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2006 10:30:08 -0500

At 9/2/2006, you wrote:
That said, Don and I were tossing around the idea of rain water
collection. This subject merits further discussion. I say calculate
your annual water needs, double that, then calculate how large a roof
would be needed to get that much water with your MINIMUM average
annual rainfall. It seems to me that we here can come up with a
very-low-cost roof that puts rainwater into a vessel that sits higher
than our houses and gardens.

I did some calculations using the Ozarks rainfall of 45 inches a year. These were rough with no allowance for dry years, etc. Using an arbitrary roof size of a 30 by 20 building, I came up with over 60,000 gallons a year. I found the monthly averages and used a spread sheet for the monthly water usage. Two 750 gallon tanks would store enough to cover the dry spells.

This was in response to comments that a well in the area would cost about $5000.

Don Bowen Awl Knotted Up KI6DIU
http://www.braingarage.com
My travel journal

I am omnivagant.