homestead - [Homestead] peppers was: Seed Festival

  • From: "Clint L. Novak" <CNovak AT CNS.COM>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] peppers was: Seed Festival
  • Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 18:30:13 -0600

We are currently living in Minnesota, we go down to Missouri several
times a year looking a land and floating down the various rivers/creeks
in our canoe. Our eventual hope is to find a small acreage(10-40 acres)
with some riverfront. My son is 12, for some reason loves to grow hot
peppers, but we have yet to actually make anything of them. I'd like to
make some pico de gaio(sp?), and a well balanced salsa. We recently got
a book on salsa so we are going to make the effort to try a few recipes
from it, though I may be the only one to actually eat it.

At 3/20/2006, you wrote:
> My son already has a
>standing order in for any hot pepper seeds, heirloom of course.

Where are you growing peppers? I have some seeds from a tropical pepper
grown on Saipan. This little pepper is about 3/4 inch long and hotter
than you can run away from. A sauce made from this pepper will as my
brother says "make a mouse slap a tomcat." I brought 7 bottles back
from my recent trip to Saipan and only have two left after visiting my
son and some friends.

The pepper grows wild on the Marianas Islands and is descended from the
Habineros planted by the Spanish in the 1500s. Locally it is a Boonie
Pepper or Donnie Sale. In the tropics the peppers produce year round
with small 3/4 inch thin peppers in red, yellow, and green. They are
hot.

There is another pepper there that has also naturalized. It is the long
thin shape about 2 inches long and green. It is good to eat off the
bush after the seeds have been removed. Very hot but a good flavor.
Just be careful where your hands go after eating one. Did it say it was
hot? After eating one of those you will not get sick for a year,
nothing will come close to you. It could be the hottest pepper I have
ever eaten whole but it was good. Did I say hot? It was well beyond
hot.

Don Bowen Awl Knotted Up
http://www.braingarage.com

My travel journal