homestead - Re: [Homestead] peppers was: Seed Festival

  • From: Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] peppers was: Seed Festival
  • Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 17:04:05 -0800

At 3/20/2006, you wrote:
We are currently living in Minnesota,

Not a good place to grow tropical peppers.

we go down to Missouri several
times a year looking a land and floating down the various rivers/creeks
in our canoe.

Any recommendations? I plan to be in Southern Missouri this next fall and will have the kayak along. I hope to share a Fat Tire Ale with Gene and meet a few other people in the area.

Our eventual hope is to find a small acreage(10-40 acres)
with some riverfront.

I am also looking for a place to stop. My wants include some access to water so I can go play in it.

I am hoping to find some affordable acreage where I can build a small house and shop. I want room for a garden, chickens, and bees. Maybe southern Missouri is the place. I grew up in northern Missouri and have always enjoyed the Ozarks.

My son is 12, for some reason loves to grow hot
peppers, but we have yet to actually make anything of them. I'd like to
make some pico de gaio(sp?), and a well balanced salsa. We recently got
a book on salsa so we are going to make the effort to try a few recipes
from it, though I may be the only one to actually eat it.

I am a fan of fresh salsa. The stuff in glass jars just does not cut it. One of my favorites is a garlic salsa we gat at the farmers market. While I was travelling around last year the one thing I could not get was fresh salsa so I am looking for recipes to make my own.

Don Bowen Awl Knotted Up
http://www.braingarage.com

My travel journal