homestead - Re: [Homestead] Very, very quiet

  • From: Keith B <bartermn AT epix.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Very, very quiet
  • Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 06:08:37 -0500

Hey Chris,
I hope to have cut the last firewood we need this year. I had piled a bunch of 6-8 foot lengths of logs and branches when our septic was put in last summer, about two full cord. I cut the last of them a couple weeks ago. It was a mix of ash, ironwood and locust and soft maple.

Yesterday I had to down a few dead standing trees on the new acre. It was a bear dragging them through the slippery slush of a weekend snow storm that dropped about six inches on us. If I only had to heat this camp we live in the pile would have been plenty, with some left over for next year. But our boy is staying in the almost but not quite finished log cabin. I told him if it didn't warm up soon he'd better buy a truckload of wood; I wasn't cutting any more.

That one acre we got from the neighbor is mostly trees and a rather nice screen between our house and the blacktop road. As a woodlot, it ain't much but should supply us with part of the firewood we need just by thinning. With our son living there, we learned how much wood it takes to heat the log cabin anyways.

Chris Clarke wrote:

Anyone around? Things seem to have gotten very quietly lately.
Everyone getting ready for spring? I have taken my slightly more than 1/2 a cord of wood and reduced it to 1/4 cord of nice heartwood
and 1/4 of dry rot... :D The pile looks very nice. Maybe I'll
send a picture. Need to get another 1/2 cord, hopefully this time
of nice clean red and white oak.