homestead - Re: [Homestead] Seed starting methods

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Seed starting methods
  • Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 12:09:33 -0600

Remember that Coleman's work is called "Four Season's HARVEST", he doesn't actually grow things all four seasons but rather HOLDS them for harvest during the coldest months.

Exactly. Timing plants so they are near harvest as winter approaches allows holding them over much or all of the winter. And, as he and many of us learned from the Nearings, many salad plants can freeze during the night but will thaw and be healthfully crisp when the sun warms the space, presumably with no cellular damage.

Don't recall if I have mentioned it--friends with a serious hoop house use a crock pot to avoid frost. Fill with water and leave on Low as I recall.