homestead - Re: [Homestead] Seed starting methods

  • From: "Lisa K. V. Perry" <lkvp AT floydva.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Seed starting methods
  • Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 08:44:57 -0500

Rob Walton wrote:

I have started my onion and cabbage seed separate communal flats. I used cut off cardboard boxes lined with a garbage bag. I put these inside garbage bags and set them on a (waterproof) heating pad set to the lowest temp. They sprouted last week so will sit in the window for another week maybe. Then to the cold frame.

I've never grown onions nor cabbage. Some vegetables intimidate me--you can add carrots to the list of veggies I've never attempted. I have several year-old seed for onions and cabbage from when I had dreams of growing darn near everything. I like this method you've used--basic and inexpensive.
It is amazing how fast and well seeds germinate when they are at the right temp. Someone else said she sets them on top of the fridge to warm the soil.

I've heard of using the top of the fridge but haven't tried it. Used the heating pad last year, it worked well. Would like to find and pick up another at a Goodwill or thrift store.

For the peppers and other stuff, I'll pot them in newspaper pots and set them in a cardboard box tray before they go to the cold frame.

Cold frame is strawbales. South bale sunk in the ground partly and side bales sunk to match. Window pane on top and some extra bales for really cold nights.

The peppers do well in your straw bale frame? Extra bales all around on cold nights?