gmark - Re: [GMark] Language and Style of Mark

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: Peter Head <pmh15 AT cam.ac.uk>
  • To: Kata Markon <gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [GMark] Language and Style of Mark
  • Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 00:03:43 +0100

Thanks John,

My name is John and I teach gospels, if I had 10-12 lectures I would cover the
following:

Firstly, I should say that the lecture part of the particular course I am doing is complemented by a long series of reading classes which are meant to be more on Greek and exegesis. In the past, after the 10-12 lectures there have also been 4-6 additional exegetical sessions based around student presentations. So the lectures are meant to be less exegetical and more introductory and thematic. It would be worth a complete re-think, but not for this year.

1. Reading strategies in gospel narratives.

I'm not too sure what you are meaning here.

2. Mark 1:1-3 and the narrator's reading of Israel's Scripture. My work here has led me
to believe that this opening paragraph is the "hermeneutical key" to Mark's gospel - you
may want to consider it in conjunction with chapters 4 and 12 (see Tolbert, "Sowing the
Gospel")
3. John the Baptist as foreshadowing Jesus Messiah both his message and his fate.
4. The temptation narrative and its function in Mark's story (I have found that the entire
gospel of Mark can be taught through the lens of 1:1-15).

I had been tossing up about smuggling a treatment of 1.1-15 into the Genre lecture. But probably that would be trying to do too much. Perhaps I could tackle these three in a lecture on Mark's Introduction (1.1-15) and use that as a bridge between some of the more 'Introduction' type of lectures and the other more thematic and theological content ones. I'm going to add that one to my list.

5. Demons and the stronger One (reading Mark 1, 3 and 5 in concert) - it may be that
Mark is retelling the Joshua story - wild beast = demons (see LXX Isaiah 12-13; 34-35)
6. The Second Exodus motif (you might consider reviewing Rikki Watts here and
Mauser "Christ in the Wilderness").
7. Wilderness themes - the feeding narratives (D. Juel's commentary is good on this
subject as well as M. Hooker's)
8. The echoes of Isaiah 6 and 34-35 in the gospel of Mark - The two stage healing of
the blind in chapter 8 and Bartimaeus in chapter 10 as paradigmatic for true "seeing"
and "hearing" in the gospel.

These are good ideas.
Perhaps within the framework I'm working with it might be possible to cover these issues in a lecture on the Miracles and Parables in Mark (does this need two lectures or, following Hooker, would it be better to treat them together to show their connectedness to Mark)? Hmm?

So far I think I've suggested eleven topics: (re-arranged into a better order)
1. Intro: Outline of Mark and Overview of Reception
2. The Greek of Mark
3. The Text of Mark
4. The Setting/Occasion of Mark
5. The Genre of Mark
6. The Introduction to Mark.
7. The Narrative of Mark
8. The God of Mark
9. The Christology of Mark
10. The Parables and Miracles of Mark
11. The Disciples in Mark

Lots to think about and (at least) one more spot up for grabs. Any more ideas? Perhaps I should have just asked the previous lecturer what he did!!!

Cheers

Pete

Peter M. Head, PhD
Tyndale House
36 Selwyn Gardens Phone: (UK) 01223 566607
Cambridge, CB3 9BA Fax: (UK) 01223 566608