gmark - Re: [GMark] Language and Style of Mark

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "John Oliff" <JOLIFF AT pbu.edu>
  • To: Kata Markon <gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [GMark] Language and Style of Mark
  • Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 10:27:14 -0400

Peter

My name is John and I teach gospels, if I had 10-12 lectures I would cover
the
following:
1. Reading strategies in gospel narratives.
2. Mark 1:1-3 and the narrator's reading of Israel's Scripture. My work here
has led me
to believe that this opening paragraph is the "hermeneutical key" to Mark's
gospel - you
may want to consider it in conjunction with chapters 4 and 12 (see Tolbert,
"Sowing the
Gospel")
3. John the Baptist as foreshadowing Jesus Messiah both his message and his
fate.
4. The temptation narrative and its function in Mark's story (I have found
that the entire
gospel of Mark can be taught through the lens of 1:1-15).
5. Demons and the stronger One (reading Mark 1, 3 and 5 in concert) - it may
be that
Mark is retelling the Joshua story - wild beast = demons (see LXX Isaiah
12-13; 34-35)
6. The Second Exodus motif (you might consider reviewing Rikki Watts here and
Mauser "Christ in the Wilderness").
7. Wilderness themes - the feeding narratives (D. Juel's commentary is good
on this
subject as well as M. Hooker's)
8. The echoes of Isaiah 6 and 34-35 in the gospel of Mark - The two stage
healing of
the blind in chapter 8 and Bartimaeus in chapter 10 as paradigmatic for true
"seeing"
and "hearing" in the gospel.

I trust this helps,

John