gmark - Re: [GMark] Language and Style of Mark

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: Peter Head <pmh15 AT cam.ac.uk>
  • To: Kata Markon <gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [GMark] Language and Style of Mark
  • Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 23:27:57 +0100

Thanks Jeffrey,

> As a discussion point: Imagine you have 10-12 lectures on Mark. What topics
> would you cover?

Certainly the "messianic secret", the role of the disciples, the relationship between Markan and Pauline Theology, the
relationship between Mark's Gospel and the Gospel of Caesar (see C.A. Evans discussions of this), and the claim of Marcus
and others that the context and occasion of GMark is the Jewish War (with side glances at how Mk. 13 fits into this
context and serves as a polemic against the claims of the Zealots and their Zion theology).

I was certainly planning a lecture on:
The Disciples in Mark
and on
The Setting/Occasion of Mark

I'm not really convinced (yet?) that Gospel of Caesar things are really worth a whole lecture. I suppose the issues would come up in other topics (Christology, Setting etc.).

Messianic Secret does deserve a lecture, but is a very common essay topic so I may leave it for the students and swing past it during a lecture on the Christology of Mark.

So now I have six definites (not in order yet):
1. Intro: Outline of Mark and Overview of Reception
2. The Greek of Mark [I probably should have said that this is a Greek language paper and students have classes on the translation (and to some extent exegesis) of all 16 chapters; plus 10-12 lectures from me; hence there is a Greek element in most of the lectures]
3. The Text of Mark
4. The Disciples in Mark
5. The Setting/Occasion of Mark
6. The Christology of Mark.

It is nice to be able to bounce this off you all. Thanks.

Cheers

Pete

Peter M. Head, PhD
Tyndale House
36 Selwyn Gardens Phone: (UK) 01223 566607
Cambridge, CB3 9BA Fax: (UK) 01223 566608