freetds - Re: [freetds] Executing a huge sql script

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Chris Kings-Lynne <Chris.Kings-Lynne AT navitas.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Executing a huge sql script
  • Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 00:41:00 +0000

Using freetds.conf is horrible. It mixes together code-level configuration
with system root-level static files. It doesn't work when you have dozens of
developers sharing a single Vagrant environment definition, but different SQL
servers. It doesn't work when you are stamping out lots of instances in the
cloud, etc. I have resorted to using TDSPORT and TDSHOST, but I'm not yet
100% sure of what exactly the scope of setting the environment variable is,
will it conflict with multiple different database connections, all set to
only connect on demand, etc.

I'm firing up a dev linux VM now to look at adding host and port settings,
which I'll try to do over time. I also need to do my own build of freetds
anyway so my developers can actually have error messages in PHP as per my
first mail to this list :(

Chris